[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

name me

you're so small under that tree,
framed by an arch.
encased by branches you seem
almost unreal,
you and your companion,
faces blurred by distance and dew.

who are you? your story, please?
for me, you exsist in this monemt, the two of you.
no name, no story
except what i choose to give you.

in my mind, you are under my power.
identity and past are mine for mere seconds
and you
the two of you
have no inkling of the power i poses to name you,
to speak falsly
of you.

no power exsits
but in the mind.

you leave your tree behind,
rendering your memory
a thought
rendering my power
gone.

2 comments:

  1. I like the "name me" poem. It seems very much like your style. I tried to figure out by clues what it could have been that you were referring to. I would imagine that it is very intentional that you did not name them.... but it's driving me a little nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! The imagery is very beautiful, especially at the beginning. I like the idea quite a lot. It reminds me of something but I'm not sure what it is - the idea of being able to control something as long as it remains vague, but once it starts to name itself it gets its own identity and is no longer completely yours. The idea that an image is personal but a noun isn't. Only critique - spelling! :) Nicely done

    ReplyDelete