[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Accapella Poems

take a look at some renditions of poems that appear in A Capella.

#11 Hears my heart, Lord                                                                                                      By Natasha Weisenbeck
A change in carpet,
a change in canvas bound song
follow my change in hook to hang my coat.

Congregation, Arise.
Arise the hymnal,
Arise in song.
these rough hands with rougher voices to hold the tune,
I am immune.
But here I find no need to grit my ear; 
distance from droning, now I here.

Arise in blue hymnal
Arise in old song.
Tune my heart to sing thy grace.
Are these the hands meant to play the senses of those torn from home?
Let thy grace now, like a feather,
Lift my wondering heart to thee.

Across a campus of inky trees I hear two things:
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it,
I hear,
Let me go Home.

Have I come home to a place I never knew?
Am I prone to leave the God I love?
Prone to search through borrowed rooms and well-crafted doors
Made by the hands
Of Mennonites?

You are not here, Oh Lord;
not in the crevices I seek
for you are not hiding.

Love, Arise.
Arise in blue hymnal,
Arise in old song,
in hearts of Anabaptist
who only call you
Home.
#8 A day's work.                                                                                                                           By Natasha Weisenbeck
Though we are not farmers,
sawdust in our nostrils made our snot thick enough to blow.
The smell of those flecks—the smell of wood-- filled our lungs for work,
Hammering galvanized nails and thumbnails in one fell
just to rip and bend and hammer the same iron into other beams.
Our sweat was mother’s cool tea, trickling from our throats to our brows, to our backs.

There were generators coughing gas clouds to yell over
And ladders to wobble on
Before we could hop into the solid Ford to drink spaghetti pots full of mother’s life-giving liquid
again.                                                                                                                                                   

Not till there was enough plaster on my shoulders
Not till there were enough shavings on dad’s nose
Till there were enough mistakes made to make us think of giving up
Not till then would he awake the faithful truck with a gastric sneeze at the turn of the key
Not till then would he tell me to shift the old gears into drive.

The sun slants as we amble through the back door,
telling more stories of gore than glory,
learning to laugh at mishaps that chaffed
our knuckles and took our buckles
right off of our belts.
And mother would serve us --scraped arms and sweaty backs-- splattered, messy children and father–
she scooped nourishment
onto our plate.
It was those days of work
that truly brought
Rest.

#4 What I learned from my Moldavian after a poem by Julia Kasdorf               By Natasha Weisenbeck
I learned from “my Moldavian”
how to bike past buggies and Volkswagens on painted streets
to get to where you are going before November nights veil your way home.
I learned from her, “my Moldavian,”
how to romp through leaves with tiny shoes your mother bought,
manufactured in the color you hate,
wearing them anyways
the path tred by them closing distance of oceans between you and your provider.
I learned that photography is one part technique
one part talent
and three parts taking off the cap.
That cinnabon coffee erases the effect
of a night spent
glaring at the computer,
papers and SNL on the screen.
I learned that Americans are stupid because we think we have something to say
without thinking instead
that we should listen
and let God talk.
I learned from “my Moldavian,”
My beautiful Moldavian,
That watching your step keeps you from tripping backwards
and hiding
and lashing out
to push people away are even better means of protection.
I learned you don’t have to be happy with yourself
To clasp the tear dripped hands of a friend
In prayer
In encouragement.
I learned strength is the spiritual gift of necessity.



I learned being there
to laugh
about dark haired and blued men who don’t exist who you’ll marry in 15 years’ time
is the most important thing in friendship,
Listening second,
Offering help, third.
I learned waking up is harder when there’s no one to pull off the covers
so you can grab them and shout, “5 more minutes!”

I learned, “my Moldavian”
it is harder to concede to being loved
than to give love.

2 comments:

  1. Every one of your poems has really distinct and delightful language. I can tell that you give special attention to the words you chose and it really pays off! I can hear your voice when I read them.

    "I learned you don’t have to be happy with yourself/To clasp the tear dripped hands of a friend/In prayer/In encouragement." <-- I loved this bit of your What I Learned From poem. It is so true. If we had to be perfect and have it all together before we could be someone else's rock, we would all be very alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of the three poems I appreciate A Day's Work most. The images are extremly real. "sawdust in our nostrils made our snot thick enough to blow." I know that feeling. It is one of the most intense feelings in the world. I also know the rest after a true day's work. It is one of the most beautiful feelings in the whole world. Well done.

    ReplyDelete