[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Does God Believe
in himself?

would we
exile and detest God if he told us
"I am not a Christian
a Baptist
a Mennonite
a Methodist
baptized,
saved,
I do not pray
do not go to church on sundays.
Nor am I a Sufi,
or of Abraham's decent

no,
none of that am I."

Would we become angry,
let Down by holy one
if he told us,
"I get mad.
I wish death upon others.
become frustrated with you,
laugh with lesbians,
cry with prostitutes,
I with hold imformation
from others' ears--

I party for years
and like to collect tears."

would we exile God if he said,
"I cannot trust you,
for you fail
again and again."

would we spit in his direction if he told us,
"You are not one of great importance
or great matters;
you do not obey
and hurt
those around you."

would we call him fool and wicked if he shouted or even whispered,
" I do not agree
with what you believe
and the actions
you justify
for your selfishness that seethes."



Would we refuse to call him God if he remarked,
"But,
I love you
              anyway
for in you,
oh human,
oh man
I have invested
                      so much.
even though you
                        Hurt Me
                        Ignore Me
           and hurt Your Self

even though
                  You Project
                   You Blame
              and Make Up
                                   what you do not know

I      Still       Love You  -- I
still want to be with you,
however small a portion I am in your life,

I want to be all of it--I want you to trust me,
for I know how to keep some pain away;

I want to trust you, but find I cannot-- but I love you anyways."

What would we say to a God who works in quite action
& Fiathfulness
                    to men who seek him

what would we say to a God Like That

instead of one who calls us

Privileged

                                             oh, human
                                             oh,           Israel.

                                                                                                   perhaps we do not recognize
                                                                                                   the Image of God
                                                                                                                              in ourselves
                                                                                                                                                anymore.





Who is God's?

                  
                           

1 comment: