[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

words reordered: new definition of commitment

hello?
hello?

can we just be friends?
can we just

befriend
&
learn

from one another
and use our heads?

I believe you
when you say

you love me

I believe you
when you said

you're happier
with me by your side.

That is valuable;
Honorable.

but, do not deceive yourself.

I am not the source,
I am not the light.

I may be a bulb,
a star,
or more likly, a moon.

yes, you've never felt this.
yes, this is

good.

but, how you have deceived yourself.
How we have deceived ourselves

to think we were more

than ordinary

Humans.

We are normal people,
who fell the same way as other
ordinary people

who learn, and live,

and grow.

there is nothing
extra
to our ordinary,

not even our pride, or delusion, or hope.

Our belief that somehow

our first

was meant
to be

our last

is a normal hope.
a normal deception.
a normal pride,

that we're different from everybody else
who's saying
the exact same
ordinarily
extra-
ordinary things.

so, instead of deception, let's cling to hope.

let us add unto ourselves
understanding,
opening up our hearts for other,
opening up our hearts for each other

killing expectations
to cultivate
learning.

I am not your Wife.
You are not my Husband.

perhaps one day,
if we become
extra-ordinarily
different
from who we are
then we could cultivate a life

together.

but today,
we have come,
extra ordinary,
different,
from who we each are,
that we may cultivate life

together.

will you,
with me, seek promise of life
in place
of promise of life with me?

There always remains

Hope when Faith learns to Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment