[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Monday, August 31, 2015

Sequeal

A Beginning
and An Ending

The prologue to our story
caught between
                         with Acknowledgements.

Reunions are sweet.
Departures, heavy.
                              I wish an Authors Note
                              to tell
                              where the story is coming from
                              to remove
                                              speculation.

Like any sequel,
time has passed between the covers.
                                              There were passages left blank,
                                               timelines, only partially filled.

The same characters,
                                 another tale.

What does our sequel hold?
The part two to our adventures?
The continuing of our thought?

How strange that the setting would be framed between engagement--

A Beginning
and An Ending.

How strange
that we have both concluded
freedom as best;

Both concluded
help with growth the best.

I do no regret the path I took to get here;

I do not regret
the pain
it took together.

I do not regret my wantonness of you
I do not regret
the unrequited  response to my desire at a young age.

( I was not ready).

I do not regret
the love shared in between stories
                                 before stories.
                                                        they make us who we are.

Do not regret
the lessons learned.

What I do regret
is the lack of self respect
for myself-- for yourself.

                                                  You are beautiful.
                                                  You are desirable.

And yet,
All you see,
All I saw,
                  was how ourselves were not enough-- were too much
                                                                                were judged or put aside.

But when I found your side again,
     when I was by your side again,
                 I found the warmth I missed.

                                                 I found my friend.

And though I may wander in my wantonness
I care less about the journey's end

and I find I care more about
how each day

                       Begins.


                             

No comments:

Post a Comment