[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

emmenit (death)

We can only do
so
    much.

To the touch,
           you were warm.
To the touch,
           you were known.

I knew your shape.

your day
your preferences
your triggers
your games.

I did not know,
               I never Knew,

The true state
                                    of your heart.

(I am sorry you were sick for so long)
( I am sorry I didn't know)
                                                               Didn't know
                                                                          of your cancer of the soul.

I am sorry

That I am not a doctor.
That I was just a nurse
who tried to help you,
to make you comfortable,
to get you back on track;
but in your pain,
                         you claimed I made it worse.


It was too much for me.
And when you pushed the buzzer,
demanding my return
to turn over your bed pan
and I did not,
you withered
                      in pain        (alone).

But I could not help you
could not force you to under go treatment of the soul
                                                                   of facing self.

I cannot help you
even though you demand that  I do so.

You claim that I am your only
                                                 life
                                 your only
                                                hope.
you don't want to see
the doctor.

you claim you just now have seen
                                                 the truth.

like you couldn't tell;
like I could ever feel safe
while helping a stubborn, angry man throw bed pans of inner hate my way
plates of piss and blame
and blame me
for all his pain.

I am sorry friend.
I am sorry one I love.

I cannot help you
with your cancer.

I cannot help you
I concur.

And now you threaten,
to pull the plug.

A threat to cause
all nurses
to come and run.

But you say,
I am the only one.

I look around the ward and see
all those who find your life worth fighting for.

You look around and see
all those who could care less of thee.

I am sorry friend
I am sorry one I love.

You are to heavy for me to turn.
Your pain is too great for me to coax.

I cannot be your doctor; I can no longer be your nurse.

My shift is up,
my break is now.

I must rest
and find myself.


I pray for you
when I am not there
I pray that you
might find yourself
                                                 too.





                                                                                                                    good bye (my friend).

No comments:

Post a Comment