[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Sunday, March 6, 2011

cliche?

"those are tears."
"yes they are."



salt is sweeter when diluted in emotion
when confusion and fear
wash
away.

salt is sweeter when diluted in body's warmth
when my nose
drips
fear.
onto your face.

drips tears.
from my cheek.

salt is sweeter when diluted
in the pillow
case.
closed.

go home.

so you take me
home
where you say
i'll stay;
where i
should be.

in those timbers; in your arms.

salt is sweeter when diluted
by my name
by your smile
by your stare that won't let me wallow
by your voice that tells me to swallow
and tell you what's the matter dear.

salt is sweeter when diluted and
dried
by your answers
by your faith
more unfathomable
more ambiguous

than mine.

fear
grows greater
than faith.
tears
drowned trust
till you turn me over and teach me how to be comforted.

iamweakiamweakiamweakiamWEAK!

SO?
sweet.

2 comments:

  1. I like the repetition in this poem! It reminded me of "Death Fugue," but not for any mood- or theme-related aspects, don't worry :)
    Only because of its similarity in the slight variations between opening lines for the "salt" stanzas.
    I really enjoy the element of ambiguity that is present in the poem (well, it's ambiguous for me, anyway): Who is it written to/for? A parent? A lover? A close friend?
    Really had a good time re-reading it, comparing he poem's intent for these alternate (albeit hypothetical) audiences.

    ReplyDelete