[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

home.

A HOME WITHOUT MUSIC
Is no home at all.

I can no longer imagine sunlight without guitar cords in the back of my mind.
I cannot listen to laughter without hearing a harmony of voices.
I cannot watch colors of leaves blend without dancing.

I have found Home.

A parcel of my heart is here. I never want to leave.
Love bubbles from the tea pot.
Joy glows from Christmas lights strung on the walls.
When the floor becomes bare and the ceiling echoes our farewells,
I will take a piece of this place with me.
I will draw back the drapes of dankness I must return to
and create a present that radiates the past year’s light.

home. let me go home...
I am 
home. 

6 comments:

  1. This is really sweet. I'm sure that if it wasn't spring break, if I didn't happen to be curled up on my couch at home reading this, it would make be really want to be doing exactly that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent poem. I enjoyed the phrase "the ceiling echoes our farewells." After introducing the importance of music in the home in the first stanza, the echoes across the ceiling reminded me of the way music can permeate a surrounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one: edward sharpe!
    two: i remember writing down things from this as you read it to me.
    three: this goes without saying seeing as we live together and you know so much about me ... nonetheless: this kills me. i agree, and it kills me.

    "what is last year's anything?" comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the banner you created with this on it! It makes me smile every time is see it :) Music is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete