[Goshen College English 210] {Spring 2011}

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

X!V--of Arcana & Alchemy

I am learning

                to leave my skin

                  Behind;

Thin skin; tough skin, weak skin;

transparent,

calloused,

sheded;         do not keep your scales

                        for too long


                I am learning

                    To feel the wholeness

                                    of my body

                                    as its own space;

                                           it's own experience;

                                                    it's own memory

            holding patterns

                        that must die;

                                that have died;

                                        that no longer live

                                                                                            three times.


                        My carcass

                                of past self

                                of past selves

                                                            is vast

                                                            is vacant

                                                            is vermouth-- dry. 

                                                                        

it's like my carcass 

            is a cavern

and my memories 

       of moments that made me 

are an

 echo

    e c h o 

                e                          i

                    c               o         n

                             h               g

                                                          to fill the empty space above glass lakes;

Mirrors in the mountains

With a penable but distant sur-face.



It's like my carcass 

            is a caravan

and the words spoken 

                that sting 

         my ears still

are campfire smoke

smoldering

      moldering

          molding,

clinging like mud to the wheels;

            a coarse hood to cover my ears at winds too harsh. 


I am learning

to let that carcass

                           decay


I am learning

   to let the heart center

                be cleft 

                    open

                     to let the dead body of past passion

                                                                        crawl out;

                                                                           mucus clinging;

                                                                                  voice box, croaking;

I take two hands

and expand the crease in my chest

                                                to let her out.


                                I do not force her;

                                        I do not evict her.

                        I tried that before--

                                           and grew tired

                                                            of the fight.


Slow,

Steady,

Breaths-- like Lamaze, but for the dead. 


                I learn how to let

                                   that hole that is left

                                                be a piece of me;

                                                 be the peace of me.


                   I learn

                             how to let

                                            you fill it

                                             in all your fullness

                                              that is more than your interactions

                                                with me.


                that is all

                        of your self-made

                                        history

                                        self-made

                                                self suffiency.


                    Maybe  I needed you then--

                                        I won't fault myself any more for that--

                                                                       but you never needed me.


                                        and that's okay.


                                                                            that's...

                                                                                      oh....

                                    

                                 I am trusting

                                      and I am transmuting;

                               I am thrusting myself through 

                     the thale-cress crested threshold; 

                           Pushing myself on the pale path

                                                                   oh...

                                                to journey the road 

                                                of white buds 

                                                 & moonlight.


                          Perhaps in relearning

                                    who all of you 

                                                is

                                                I will remember

                                                all the things that I loved--

                                                                              and all the things

                                                                                            that never included me;

                                                                                            that would never be me;

                                                                                            that fit like the wrong shoe.

                                Oh....

                                        to be a cobbler

                                        to refit & rehyde a heel

                                        to retrofit

                                            who a person is

                                            to fit your own narrative

                                                                            of them.

                                                                            to lie

                                                                            to yourself. 

                                                                                your self, esteemed. 


                 You are still the same-- still as gentle and generous and gracious.

                     You are still....

                        as I am just the same-- vivacious and vibrant and viscous. 

                                I am just...

                                            just....

                                                         what?


                        The babble is made

                    by the brooke meeting the boulder. 

                                                oh, I love that sound.


  so I shall seek it in measure-- the never ending ebb & flow 

                                                    the rise and wane of ripples

                                                        the coming & going 

                                                                                        of crystal 

                                                                                            clarity.


I feel it now-- the tempering.

                        tempest turned temperance; the balancer of scales

                                                                       the alchemist of the Arcana

                                                                         the angel of androgyny.

                       FOURTEENTH in the deck;

                                 after death, of one-three;

                                      before one-five--the deviling.


                    I am prepared.

                            To be weighed & measured;

                    I am prepped

                            to be wheyed and tempered. 


                                                                                    my carcass

                                                                                    is like a cateran;

                                                                                     my memory

                                                                                      it's melody;

                                                                                                a scream

                                                                                                known only

                                                                                                to history.

                                    you are not his story,

                                             the winds whisper to me.

                                                       he was never YOUR story

                                                                my bones bade me grow.


                    And I will say it

                           I will know it

                           I will understand it

                                    not as the miaden

                                    but as the mother

                                                            and very soon

                                                the crone.


                                                                                   And I will say it:

                                                                                          a part of me-

                                                                                         the cavernous part;

                                                                                         the carnivorous part;

                                                                                         the cautious & childish parts-- 

                                                                                         will always love

                                                                                         a part of you--

                                                                                    the part of you

                                                                                 that I believed

                                                                          could love me

                                                                       would love me

                                                                              secretly did;

                                                                                                        but you didn't. 

                                                          and that's

                                                                           O-Kay.

                                                                                            That's 

                                                                                           Oh...

                        I let it rise

                        the risk

                        the rinse

                        the rivers

                        the riker 

                                        from my catacombs of my ribs 

                                        to hover 

                                        just above 

                                                        my chest.

                       and maybe

                        I am finally okay

                        with just knowing

                                just seeing

                                                     that you are okay

                                               & that it wasn't me 

                                                                who made you that way--



                                                            It was you.


                                                        Why?

                                                         Oh....

                                                          you. 


                                and in that echo I hear my own reflection--

                                                            I turn

                                                                I see

                                                                                     Me.



                                                I Turn & see that I am OKAY.

                               & that it wasn't you

                                              who made me that way.



                                                                                            Maybe I was right

                                                                                             when I was young;

                                                                                                When I was 12. 


                                                you were just like me.

                                                    you were a refracted reflection of my core.


                            But it was only because

                                                    you too

                                                                        were going to make it;

                                                                                going to make

                                                                                                            your own way.


                                                    you too

                                                                    made it okay.


                                            you

                                                    made

                                                    it.


                                                                                             oh...                               

                                     














                                             


                                                                        



                

                





                    



No comments:

Post a Comment